FAQ

What is the best way to watch VidAngel on your TV?

July 7, 2022 by

Watching TV on a TV isn’t a new concept.

You’ve been faring just fine for a couple of decades now. Then you hear about a filtering service called VidAngel that allows you to take out whatever content you don’t want to see or hear. That’s great news, right? The concept of VidAngel sounds really wonderful, but you can’t figure out how to get it on your TV. So here I am, an unqualified source who still uses an iPhone 8 that’s about 12 updates behind, who’s completely content watching shows (not in full-screen mode might I add) on my phone… giving my unfiltered feedback on what’s actually the best way to enjoy VidAngel on your TV.

I love our VidAngel customers more than I hate trying new things, so here goes nothing.

If Christmas comes in July for you:

Apple TV 4K.

If I hadn’t gotten the Apple TV 4K as a Christmas present then I probably wouldn’t have it. With that said, it is everything. A seamless experience with the app directly in the App Store. Being able to AirPlay to the screen or watch directly from the app; this is what “it’s the simple things in life” dreams are made of.

Apple TV Price: $149.99

Overall takeaway: Easy. The 2 solid options make you feel like your options are endless.

Watch VidAngel on my Apple TV

If you’re a coupon king or queen:

Fire TV.

Bring on the side-loaded Roku-like magic, without the Roku. This manual installation makes for a bumpy implementation, but worth your while. The best part is, you don’t have to venture the journey alone. Our tech specialists are ready to walk people through the process step-by-step.

Fire TV Stick Price: $29.99-$39.99, unless there’s a sale. Then your guess is as good as mine.

Overall takeaway: Made me nostalgic for the side-loaded Roku app era.

Watch VidAngel on my Fire TV

If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option with an easy implementation:

Android TV with “onn.”

or Chromecast with Google TV.

I would have never given this one a chance had it not been for this article.This was a pleasant surprise though. Bravo Android! Just like the Apple TV, there’s a VidAngel app right in the Google Play App Store AND you also have the cast option. A great experience either way and easy to use.

Android TV with “onn.” Price: $19.99

Chromecast with Google TV Price: $49.99

Overall takeaway: For that cost and the user-friendly interface, I’d consider changing my phone-watching ways.

Watch VidAngel on my Android TV

If you like a little bit of mystery and promising potential:

Casting.

Other than phone-watching, casting is the method I use the most if I have to share. You can cast directly to your Samsung TV, Android TV, Fire TV, Apple TV (with an iPhone), Chromecast, and select Smart TVs. Not sure how? Our tech specialists are here to help! Visit our help center or get in touch with one of our tech specialists to get started.

Overall takeaway: Fast-forwarding or changing filter options with casting can cause buffering. Other than that, the amount of casting options is overwhelming.

Hopefully this was a bit more helpful than those coupons on the back of your grocery store receipt. Happy watching.

17 comments

17 Comments

• Reply Tina orebaugh July 22, 2022 at 6:12 pm

I’m too old to figure this out. I did notice the chosen on Pureflix .
    I saw the chosen when you were putting it out one episode at a time.
    So good. I Only saw the first season.
    So so good. Just put a movie out that a person old or young can watch without swearing or sex. Then I would get it.
    I saw your podcast of how y’all got started. That was very interesting . I like y’all .
    Tina

• Reply Wade Bybee July 22, 2022 at 6:43 pm

Why does Vid Angel no longer work with Roku?

• Reply Chloe Stoker August 5, 2022 at 3:14 pm

Great question. Long story, short: Roku announced that on February 23, 2022, it was going to sunset all channels not available through its official store. This included our channel. This means that VidAngel, and all other non-certified channels, no longer work on all Roku devices.

• Reply David Larsen July 22, 2022 at 6:49 pm

Need to be able to cast from my phone to LG television.

• Reply Chloe Stoker August 5, 2022 at 3:15 pm

We would love to help you out! Email us at support@vidangel.com and one of our tech specialists will try and get to the bottom of it. Thank you!

• Reply David S. July 23, 2022 at 6:55 am

I have several Fire TV devices (Fire Stick, Fire Cube, etc.) and found the easiest two ways to use Vidangel are:
    1) Cast from a phone or tablet. Yes, this is obvious, but the problem is you cannot use the subtitle features this way. The second solution is …
    2) Open Silk browser on Fire TV and navigate to the Vidangel site. Login there and you’re all set, but there are some quirks and some tips follow. You can use all the features, including subtitles, via your remote. For logging in, it’s best to use the Fire TV remote app on your phone so you can use the keyboard. And for scrolling, you’ll have to hold down the center button of your remote while simultaneously pressing the up or down part of the remote control wheel. Also, to verify your services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.), you may have to access Vidangel on a laptop to complete the process. Apart from that, the features are all there.

• Reply Robyn E Nichols July 23, 2022 at 5:07 pm

How about on ROKU ?

• Reply Chloe Stoker August 5, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Unfortunately, we aren’t compatible with the Roku.

• Reply Cindy Hornbrook July 24, 2022 at 7:50 am

Not able to cast to my smart TV I don’t have any problems casting you tube or any live streaming to my TV only yours

• Reply Chloe Stoker August 5, 2022 at 3:10 pm

Hi Cindy! We would love to help you. Email us at support@vidangel.com and one of our tech specialists will be able to walk you through your options step-by-step.

• Reply Shelley C July 24, 2022 at 10:28 am

Are you working on being compatible with Roku?

• Reply Chloe Stoker August 5, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Roku announced that on February 23, 2022, it was going to sunset all channels not available through its official store. This includes the current VidAngel channel. That meant us, and all other non-certified channels, no longer work on all Roku devices.

• Reply Lisa July 27, 2022 at 6:53 pm

We don’t have any of the above, only Roku, which of course used to work and we loved it! Now we watch much less often because we have to use the computer with an HDMI cable in order to put it onscreen. While not tragic, it is a nuisance. NOT happy that Roku doesn’t work anymore!

• Reply Michelle July 28, 2022 at 3:10 pm

Does it work with ROKU?

• Reply Chloe Stoker August 5, 2022 at 3:09 pm

Good afternoon Michelle! Unfortunately, we do not work with Roku.