As the fireworks subside celebrating the New Year, it’s time to reflect what we’ve accomplished together at VidAngel in 2018.
The Chosen – closing at midnight tonight – over $8 million* so far!
Finally, today is the final day The Chosen will accept investment agreements. It is conducting an unprecedented 6-hour live streamed marathon tonight beginning at 9pm EST. Join the live stream to ask the director anything you want and have your questions answered in real time.
*Amount raised is an estimate that includes subscriptions and founders’ contribution, however not all such amounts have been accepted or closed, and some subscriptions may not be accepted.
Dry Bar Comedy – Over 1 BILLION views
Our hit comedy series grew explosively in 2018, propelling VidAngel to cash flow positive and prompting a national tour for 2019. It’s hard to describe what a live night at Dry Bar is like so make sure you experience it when it comes to your town.
Here are some of Dry Bar Comedy’s 2018 highlights:
- 1) Top-10 Title on VidAngel. Four or five of the most popular titles on VidAngel are consistently Dry Bar Comedy specials (competing with Stranger Things, Jack Ryan and Game of Thrones). We don’t show them in the most popular category on the app anymore because they were dominating the section. But they are still the most popular.
- 2) 4 Million Followers. More social media followers than Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Jerry Seinfeld, and Dave Chapelle combined.
- 3) Sirius XM Radio Deal. We partnered with SiriusXM radio to allow people to listen to Dry Bar Comedy on satellite radio. Listen to it on channel 98.
- 4) Audio Apps. Do you have one of those home devices? Here are some commands to test the new Dry Bar Comedy audio apps on your home device or cell phone (these are in EARLY testing, so we look forward to your feedback):
- “hey Google” followed by “Ask Dry Bar Comedy for jokes”
- “Alexa” is currently reviewing our app. When it is approved, you can use the same phrase as Google.
- “Siri” followed by “Play Dry Bar Comedy”
- 5) Cash Flow Positive. We invested millions into Dry Bar Comedy and now, as we start Season 4 next week, it’s generating millions in revenue. And almost all of January tapings sold out weeks in advance.
We are in the final stages of FINRA and the SEC regulatory approval for a crowd-funding portal that will allow everyone to support numerous crowd-funded media projects such as The Chosen. There are a number of projects that we haven’t been able to announce yet. However, we plan to officially launch the crowd-funding platform for VidAngel Studios early this year.
Legal Battle #SaveFiltering
The stay (that we were afforded thanks to Chapter 11) has been lifted on the Disney lawsuit and we’re back at it in the courts as a much healthier company. In 2017 we did about $2.7 million (and suffered decreasing cash reserves every month) but in 2018 we did over $7.5 million (and our cash reserves began increasing again). What is most astounding is that we achieved that while filtering only half the content we previously offered on VidAngel!
We plan to fight for the right to filter all content on modern devices until we are confident that the future of filtering is secure. Even without filtering for Disney/Fox/WB content, it is no longer all or nothing because the rest of VidAngel’s business is thriving. And we will continue to ask Congress to clarify the law as we grow.
Finally, we also hope to emerge from Chapter 11 soon, maybe even this year.
Happy New Year!
Thank you for all your support. Without your help, we wouldn’t be able to continue fighting to make entertainment good for your home. 2018 was a great year and we expect 2019 to be even better.
We hope to see you any time on The Chosen 6-hour live stream tonight at 6pm PST or 9pm EST.
Onward and upward,
Neal Harmon, Co-founder and CEO