Looking for a rugged adventure in the Wild West? Maybe you fancy a good ol’ fashion showdown between gun-slinging characters in the heart of the American frontier, where cowboys and outlaws fight for justice. While we can’t transport you back in time to the Old West, we can take you on a thrilling ride through the world of Western TV. From Yellowstone to its many spinoffs, traverse untamed landscapes, follow complex characters, and explore tales of justice, through the lens of a cowboy. Saddle up, partner, because these best Western shows are just what you need to experience the essence of the American West.
LAWMEN: BASS REEVES
Summary: About the legendary lawman Bass Reeves, one of the greatest frontier heroes and one of the first Black deputy U.S. marshals west of the Mississippi River in American history.
Stars: David Oyelowo, Dennis Quaid, Joaquina Kalukango, Bill Dawes
Summary: A ranching family in Montana faces off against others encroaching on their land.
Stars: Kevin Costner, Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley
- “I love the importance of family in Yellowstone. That no family is perfect.” -Daren
- “One of the best western shows, but I definitely couldn’t watch without VidAngel.” -Jess
- “You don’t miss anything watching Yellowstone with VidAngel!” -Andrew
Wondering what it’s like to watch Yellowstone without the profanity? https://blog.vidangel.com/yellowstone-without-profanity-nudity-and-gore/
Summary: The post-Civil War generation of the Dutton family travels to Texas, and joins a wagon train undertaking the arduous journey west to Oregon. Before settling in Montana to establish what would eventually become the Yellowstone Ranch.
Stars: Tim McGraw, Sam Elliott, Faith Hill, Isabel May
- “I love watching Yellowstone and 1883 without the profanity and inappropriate scenes.” -Ruby
- “I appreciate [Yellowstone] all the more after watching the prequels, especially 1883! It makes the story of the Dutton family so sweet to know that they’ve hung on that long. Also, can we talk about how cool all the cowboys are!” -Danny
- “1883. Definitely worth filtering and streaming.” -Destiny
Summary: The Duttons face a new set of challenges in the early 20th century. The rise of Western expansion, Prohibition, and the Great Depression.
Stars: Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren, Brandon Sklenar, Julia Sclaepfer
- “The show itself is freaking amazing. I am so hooked with that, 1883 and 1923.” -Adelle
- “We just watched 1923 & are so grateful we can remove all the unnecessary nudity!” -Layna
BILLY THE KID
Summary: An epic romantic adventure based on the life of Billy the Kid. From his humble Irish roots and his early days as a cowboy and gunslinger in the American frontier, to his pivotal role in the Lincoln County War and beyond.
Stars: Tom Blyth, Daniel Webber, Sean Owen Roberts, Dakota Daulby
Summary: Follows a game warden and his family during a changing political and socioeconomic climate in a small rural town.
Stars: Michael Dorman, Julianna Guill, Sharon Lawrence, Mustafa Speaks
Summary: A rancher fighting for his land and family discovers an unfathomable mystery at the edge of Wyoming’s wilderness.
Stars: Josh Brolin, Imogen Poots, Lili Taylor, Shaun Sipos
- “I finished watching Outer Range…..weirdly awesome!” -Jesse
HELL ON WHEELS
Summary: The Civil War is past, but former Confederate soldier Cullen Bohannon can’t put it behind him. Fresh are the memories of the death of his wife, killed at the hands of the Union soldiers, an act that sets him on a course of revenge.
Stars: Anson Mount, Colm Meaney, Robin McLeavy, Phil Burke
Summary: Follows a woman as she seeks revenge on the man she sees as responsible for the death of her son.
Stars: Emily Blunt, Chaske Spencer, Stephen Rea, Tom Hughes
Summary: Follows Declan Harp, a half-Irish/half-Cree Native-Canadian outlaw. Harp is campaigning to breach the Hudson’s Bay Company’s monopoly on the fur trade in Canada.
Stars: Jason Momoa, Landon Liborion, Zoe Boyle, Greg Bryk
- “FRONTIER SERIES! SO good! I can’t believe we have only just discovered it! I’ve added it to my list of fav. series. We all think it should be given higher ratings than it was given. Binge-worthy for sure. The one thing though- is we never use the gore filters but for this one esp. after last night’s episode in season 2 I’m thinking it’d be good.” -Rachelle
Summary: In the 1880s American West, a murderous outlaw gang leader Frank Griffin hunts for ex-protege Roy Goode. Frank’s chase leads him to La Belle, New Mexico–a town inhabited, after a mining disaster, almost entirely by women.
Stars: Jack O’Connell, Michelle Dockery, Scoot McNairy, Merritt Wever
This list of the best of the best Western TV shows is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out more here.